Saturday, August 11, 2007

Crossing The Rs 12 Red Line

I started this blog to express my views about happenings in India but have been concentrating lately on Kerala and the theatrics happening in the state's political scene. But something has jolted me back to focus on my original goal.
There is this government-commissioned report that says 836 million Indians live on less than Rs 20 a day, or about 50 cents in US dollars. That figure comes to around 75 per cent of the Indian population. And some of them are not even considered poor by our government or planners because our own poverty threshold is around Rs 12 a day! Now, which one of us can survive on Rs 20 a day, let alone Rs 12? Still millions in this country lead such a terrible life.
The silver lining in their lives is that living standards and income levels are increasing and, if not they, their children can hope to be out of this terrible burden on their lives.
But it is not an easy road to that destination. Because, for one, the current rise in incomes is due to a strong global economy and outsourcing boom. The first one is already under threat with hedge funds and speculators trying to spoil the party. The second one, too, is not going to be there always. Because of job pressures from the West, and because our own politicians are trying to make life difficult for companies that are tapping into outsourcing in India.
I run such a company, and I cannot explain how much I am perturbed by the frequent stop-works and strikes our political parties indulge in. I am answerable to my clients and I cannot tell them every day that "oh, we got a bandh here".
There is a vested interest for the political parties here to see the poor remain poor - as permanent vote banks. So they don't care about raising them above the Rs 12 red line of poverty.
Just think of this: which of our politicians, including the Communists, would be able to survive on Rs 12 a day? But then, the poor have no voice!

No comments: